Friday, September 19, 2008

Random Musings...

Here’s a thought for you.... You know how you are driving along, you see someone trying to turn in front of you and you let them in? And then they drive away, like letting them in was their God given right? Not to sound petty, but after 8 years of having lived in California ( I moved from Canada, where last I checked people still waved) , this is still something I have not gotten used to. What happened to a wave to say thanks?

Here’s what I think. Our car’s are these metal boxes that keep the outside world out. We feel like we are in our own little world. Don’t need to speak or talk to anyone. I am my own island. But we are also human, social creatures and part of the network that is humankind.

Raising a hand to wave is more than just acknowledging that you appreciate a total stranger doing something nice for you. It’s not just about manners and being polite. It’s about connections. Establishing a link. Showing your humanity driving along in your metal tank. It’s about take a fleeting moment in our high speed, broadband lives to say, hi, I see your kindness and I raise it with a smile and a wave. Have a nice day too…

Next time you are on the road, and someone lets you cut in front of them, lets you merge on a lane, or basically tolerates your crazy ass driving, raise a hand and say thanks. Just try it. See what happens…

No comments: